Preventative Measures to Avoid Blocked Drains
A blocked drain is a common problem that no homeowner wants to face. From sluggish shower drains to stopped up kitchen sinks and more, we get calls about blocked drains in Sydney every day. In addition to rendering drains useless, a blockage can cause unpleasant odors, leaks and even flooding.
Fortunately, there are several preventative measures to avoid blocked drains, and preventing blockages is easier than removing them. Here are just a few tips to help you prevent blocked drains in your home.
Preventing Blocked Drains
Preventing clogs and blockages is easier than you may think! Just keep these simple things in mind:
- Never pour grease down the drain. Grease is one of the primary causes for blockages in kitchen sinks. Avoid pouring it down your drain, and you’ll likely avoid this common headache.
- Don’t use your toilet like a trash can. Never flush anything other than waste and toilet paper. Personal wipes, feminine hygiene products, cotton balls, paper towels and other non-flushable items belong in the trash can.
- Put mesh screens over all of your drains. Screens trap hair, food particles and other debris before it can cause a clog. Empty the screens into the trash regularly to keep the gunk out of your drains.
- Use your garbage disposal appropriately. There are certain foods that should never go in your garbage disposal. Avoid potato and banana peels, fats, oils, pasta, rice, bones, coffee grounds and stringy vegetables like celery as they can cause blockages.
- Pour baking soda and vinegar down your drains. The foaming chemical reaction that occurs when baking soda and vinegar are combined bubbles away food particles and other debris. Pour in baking soda followed by white vinegar every month or so to maintain your drains.
What to Do When You Have a Blocked Drain
When you have a blocked drain, it’s best to contact a professional plumber. Trying to solve the problem on your own is messy and can even be dangerous. At Network Plumbing, we can help. We can unblock any drain, and we’re here 24/7 to provide drain cleaning services or drain maintenance in Sydney when you need it most. Call 99 58 58 58.